Tuesday, December 1, 2009

advent spiral and zora's birthday ring






















Finally on the first of December our advent spiral is fully done and ready. After a trip to a wonderful shop called wood from the hood. The project this man created is to reclaim trees that must be cut down from city yards. Hence wood from the hood , he then turns it into boards of useable lumber. I was lucky enough to grab a couple nice pieces and turn it into an advent spiral for our family. On the last birthday ring I made for our family I drilled the holes to fit the small candles and not for the brass candle holders that are two dollars and change a piece. This advent spiral I accidentally drilled the holes 3/4" to hold the brass holders. I will not buy ninety dollars worth of candle holders!
So I had an idea , I went on our usual walk in the woods and brought home some branches , bought a 3/4" dowel.

Then cut "coins" of both , the bottom being the dowel I made a bit thicker coins The branch coin on top is a bit bigger than the dowel.

Then glued the branch coins onto the tops centered. I just used standard wood glue , but I bet something like gorilla glue would work great too.

The next day I drilled holes to fit my candles. Zora and Otis helped me rub beeswax oil mix into them. Viola!

A low cost great looking way to make candle holders for an advent spiral or birthday ring.

Also I have included a picture of Zora's finally finished partially full of new candle holders birthday ring! This is from a great log a found on a walk a block from our house. My husband just laughed when I came home from a evening walk huffing and puffing with a log in my arms. He said "only you would come home carrying a giant log!"

6 comments:

spiritofthings said...

Okay, these are just gorgeous. I wish I could do the same. It takes some talent I think.

Annie Bowman said...

These are beautiful, thank you for sharing your creativity!

Em said...

Those look fantastic!

Mama Rose said...

Great handi-work Mama! That spiral looks absolutely beautiful. What type of wood is that?

Tan Family said...

I love these! I've seen them in your Etsy shop. Beautiful. :)

Andrea said...

OH! wow I thought this was my own little thing! just saw your comments thanks for all the nice things you've said! The wood is maple ( I think)